TOP 500 REVIEWER
17 October 2015
I haven't read a YA book in some time... probably Angelfall (whenever that was?) Not just YA but the paranormal/ dystopian/ fantasy type ones that sometimes work for me :)

This one worked for me. After I had finished reading it (at one in the morning) I spent a bit of time thinking about Shadow and Bone and why I liked it so much.... usually I just judge my reading experience... if I based it solely on that, I would give this one a five.

The reason I am only giving it a four is because if I had read a whole lot of these types of books in a row (one after the other), I may not have enjoyed it as much. There is definitely a predictability in the books and this one definitely had all that. I wasn't sitting on the edge of my bed (or hiding under the covers) in huge suspense... the storyline was not all that. So I am taking one star off for predictability.

What I did love about Shadow and Bone was the quality of the writing. It created pictures and emotions beautifully for me. I didn't feel like I was struggling to read it, in fact, I read it in one sitting (I love when I can do that).

I also loved Mal. I love authors that can write men that are romantic but not woosy. I love authors that think it is ok for the men to be romantic and that can write them as well as Mal was. And on that note, the Darkling started out super intriguing too... I was disappointed his bad- iness came out so soon.... I wish there could have been more of him in that triangle for longer :) So the well written, romantic Mal was a breath of fresh air for me (from my usual erotica).

Four stars for this one and I would read more from this author!
3 people found this helpful