28 June 2018
As one of the white majority in a country where the indigenous peoples were not considered people until well into the 20th century, I have to ask myself this.
This book was an uncomfortable read as I thought about how many black and/or brown people impacted my life. Like most people similar in circumstances to myself, I would say very few if any. I am guilty of many of the things Reni discusses - colour blindness, assuming I'm not racist when some things I say would be construed as such.
I look in horror at what is happening in today's world and try to imagine what could fix such chaos. Trump Brexit, the rise of nationalism. There's a deep seated issue that this book touches on that the world as a whole must address before w can move on. Fear and distrust generate and feed racist ideology and it's very easy to buy into this.
The answer to my question is likely yes. I must work harder. My plan is to think about what is discussed here and reread the book before moving on.
One person found this helpful
0Comment Report abuse Permalink