TOP 50 REVIEWER
2 December 2013
This famous work of historical fiction tells the reader of the story of Margaret Beaufort and her fight against the Yorks as well as the powers of destiny to restore a Lancastrian King to the throne of England. Young Margaret grew up as one of Christendom's most faithful, devout and loyal servants. Giving herself Saint's knees by the age of ten, she sets her goal in life to become a Nun. Her family of course will have none of that... And to quote her mother, her role in life is to produce an heir to the Lancastrian line; nothing more and nothing less. If this sounds harsh enough to break a young girl a spirit you would be right but fortunately for the reader it doesn't and even though she goes through some hard times she finally achieves her mother's wish by giving birth to a son, Henry.

Through several wars, assassination attempts and various marriages we see the face of England change and we see young Margaret grow into a remarkably strong willed woman who has lost none of her faith, despite the barrage of disappointments that she has had to contend with over the years. The descriptive work from Ms Gregory is as delightful as ever. Reading my paperback outside in the park next to my home, the breeze brushing against my face could easily have come from 15th century England. The battle scenes featuring Lord Stafford on the frozen hills and valleys of his dukedom ran red with the flow of blood and even though this part of the book was rather macabre it was still wonderfully portrayed for the reader.

Of course it is easy to emotionally connect with young Margaret but that was life for a young girl in the 15th century. it is also easy to be angered by it but there is no point to anger as we cant change the past, can we? And so I come to the end of the book, and the end to this review. I give it four stars out of five. I thoroughly enjoyed book one of this series (THE WHITE QUEEN) as it had more excitement for me. This one was just as entertaining but a touch more political.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink