17 August 2018
The display is beautiful. The range of books is unbeatable. But the device is terribly complicated - and that is because its capabilities are mostly quite unnecessary. My old Kindle got a crack in the outer case, and rather than repair it I bought a new one. Silly me. Without physical buttons to turn the page, I now need both hands - trying to turn the page using the touch screen is so imprecise, it often results in accidental underlining etc. And really, trying to push all Kindle readers onto Goodreads! Get out of my home, Amazon! I just do not want to do anything on my Kindle except read the books. I don't need a dictionary, nor a thesaurus, nor underlining, no notetaking. All of that stuff just gets in the way.
Right, so that is the bad side of the new Kindle. The good side is that the lit display is great. The size and weight of the device is perfect. So, I will keep using my Kindle as well as reading quite a lot of physical book. I guess I am about half-and-half at the moment. But I will keep looking for a simpler device that is easier to use, with just the basics.
6 people found this helpful