Reviewed in Australia on 17 July 2016
I got so excited after finishing this book, that I spammed Facebook! I want everyone to know about this book! If you like your Urban Fantasy with brains and a pulse, you'll love this!
✨❤️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️❤️✨
Thank you Kim Falconer for writing such an intelligent strong female character. Ava reminds me of a kick-arse adult version of Hermione, with mixed martial arts, and knife and gun skills, instead of a wand. The world needs these female characters realistically flawed, searching for themselves with a strong moral compass and steadfast resolve. Even when her world is turned upside down, her needle points true North.
The visuals are delicious, set in the heart of what's left of Los Angeles after 'the big one', from dangerous old ruins and partially rebuilt ghettos, to big-money opulence, and the natural beauty of things reclaimed by the ocean. Then there are small segments of almost normal university life contrasting with the truly bizarre things Ava finds herself dealing with.
This dystopian world is populated with interesting, scary, funny, believable characters, adding suspense, grit and blood to what is a very wild ride!

It took 9 days to read this because my 17 year old daughter kept snatching it when I had breaks and wouldn't give it back! Two copies would have been handy!
I read the last 70% in two days, I couldn't put it down, the pace of this book pulled me along easily. Even with the kids on school holidays, at times I noticed my quickening heartbeat was drowning out their requests for food.

I'm glad to hear Kim Falconer is writing the second Ava Sykes book, because I'm hooked and hungry for more!
✨❤️🐟💦✨