17 June 2019
Maria V. Snyder is one of my favourite fantasy writers, so when I came across this new series of hers I was excited to dive in! She did such an amazing job creating this world and city, which is at least 98 levels of city under the soil. It was interesting to meet the characters, seeing who ran the city and what their beliefs were.

The story focuses on Shyla, a girl raised by monks, who had moved to the city and was treated like an outcast because of the colour of her hair and her skin. She kept to herself and took on small jobs to earn her money. When her one friend loses something that she helped him locate, she finds herself working for the Prince and threatened by the Heliacal Priestess. She faced a lot of challenges, she was betrayed, and was always in danger. But no matter what happened, she found the strength to get back up and push herself to succeed.

Shyla was always watching her back, but had such a kind soul. She met a lot of new people, but it was hard to trust them, as they could betray her at anytime. I’d like to see more of them to figure out what their role is in this story and whether they can be someone that Shyla can trust. It also looks like she has a potential love interest, and I'm excited to see how this relationship goes.

The Eyes of Tamburah was a fascinating read! I loved the detail of the world, trying to imagine it expanding under ground. My heart ached for Shyla a number of times, as people judged her because she was that little bit different. She was a determined girl with a big heart and was willing to do anything to save a friend. She sacrificed so much, but also learned a lot about herself. This book was just the beginning of Shyla's journey, and I'm looking forward to coming back!
0Comment Report abuse Permalink