TOP 100 REVIEWER
2 December 2019
Wow this is one twisted read and is the stuff that nightmares are made of! From the creepy cover (which is perfect by the way!) to the title, to what the story is about, this book ticked all the boxes for me in what I love in a story in this genre and I couldn’t wait to get stuck into it. When I did, there was no stopping me and I devoured it in one sitting! Miranda had me hooked straight away. I was glued to the pages and on multiple occasions was holding my breath, biting my nails and breaking out in a sweat as the story progressed.

Miranda has crafted a plot that opens with a chilling first chapter that sets the tone of the book perfectly. Although it is a story that you may have read before, I really enjoyed how Miranda mixed it up by having the male character as the psychopath as opposed to it always being the female as the crazy one in these situations. It really did make for a refreshing change and made the story all the more enjoyable for me. There is also a great twist with a surprising revelation that I really didn’t see coming, which made it even more thrilling.

Told from the perspective of main characters Charlotte (Charlie) and Rupert as well as secondary character Jodie in the present, the reader is also taken back to the past told from the perspective of Simone and her story, which is told over three consecutive years in the 90’s. I really enjoy when an author takes you to the past, as it gives great insight into a characters backstory. In this case it focuses on Rupert as a teenager and how his relationship with his father and Simone made him go from unstable to off the charts crazy!

All the characters are very believable and well developed, but the standout is definitely Rupert. The portrayal of him is flawless. He is one creepy man but he could not have been written more perfectly as the deluded psychotic man that he is. After experiencing a rough childhood and having a bad relationship with his father and what he put Rupert through, I really wanted to feel sympathy for him but I just couldn’t get there with him. When I was reading the book, it was always in the back of my mind how Miranda was able to seperate and switch herself off from him when she wasn’t writing the story. He definitely got under my skin so I can’t even imagine how he affected Miranda during the process of writing this book.

Miranda is a new author to me and one I am glad is now on my radar. I throughly enjoyed her style and how quickly she was able to grab my attention through engaging and fluid writing as well as keeping the story moving at a fast pace. I was really impressed with the whole story in its execution, it’s characters (although I do wish it had of ended up better for one of them) and it’s outcome with how it was all wrapped up. It was an absolute pleasure to read and review You Are Mine which I highly recommend.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink