TOP 10 REVIEWER
31 December 2018
When I learned that G.R.R. Martin was publishing a history of the Targaryen kings, I knew I would read it. Sure, I’ve not yet finished reading all the published books in the ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ series, but I’ve watched the seven series of ‘Game of Thrones’ and I’m a fan. Especially of the dragons. And I was curious about the world building.

The book itself purports to be the first volume of the history of the early Targaryen kings, from Aegon the Conqueror and his sisters through to Aegon III. There are twenty-three chapters and although my interest flagged towards the end, I mostly enjoyed it. I’m told, by those more familiar than I am, with the ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ series, that much of the material is not new. I can’t comment on that as most of it was new to me.

My favourite part? The seven chapters dealing with the fifty-year reign of Jaehaerys I, his Queen Alysanne and their children. This read like, well, a history.

Is it worth reading? Probably not for those who’ve been immersed in the series since the beginning. I’m glad I read it: I borrowed a copy from my local library.

Jennifer Cameron-Smith