12 January 2018
I really enjoyed this book.
Although at first I didn't like main character, Marlene, too much. It was not easy to sympathise or empathise with her, and seeing as she is also the first person narrator, it made it quite hard to get into the book. (For that reason I would have given it four and a half stars, but the website won't let me give half stars.)
However, the story was very good so I kept reading, and by the end of the book Marlene's character has changed. And I think that is what the book is really all about. In fact the author has said (on Goodreads) that the story is Marlene's 'coming-of-age' as a mother. Actually all of the characters change for the better by the end of the book.
Aside from all that, it is a very good apocalyptic survival story that is gripping, suspenseful and intriguing. I'm hoping there will be a sequel. Although the author has said she had no plans for one, but the ending leaves it open for one.
One person found this helpful
0Comment Report abuse Permalink