10 September 2019
The First Girl Child was an incredible read. This would have to be one of my favourite Amy Harmon books which is saying something with all the great books Amy has written.

The book is a historical fantasy with a little magic which is set in Saylok , a tribal nation. You have the Chieftans of each of the six Tribes, The Keepers and The King. The story is told in multiple perspectives full of lies and betrayal so you know what everyone is up to and what they have done.

Women were not treated very well which is where the story begins with Desdamona who has recently given birth to a Son . She is on her death bed when she curses the land of Saylok to teach the men to appreciate their women.

The story was gripping and intriguing and even though it is quite a long book, I did not want to put it down. In the acknowledgements Amy mentions if the book does well she will write more about the characters of Saylok which I cannot wait to read more about. I finished this book a week ago and still cannot get it out of my head. I would definitely give this book more than 5 Stars if I could.
2 people found this helpful