TOP 10 REVIEWER
20 November 2019
I have really been enjoying historical Australian stories this past year. The chance to read my first Darry Fraser story was a no brainer for me - let me have it.

Now, as a teen in the 80s, I was completely in love with John Waters in All The Rivers Run, and The Good Woman of Renmark have me all of those kind of vibes.

It gives us a good glimpse of the social history of the time. Women did not yet have the vote, the suffragette movement growing every day. The Mighty Murray (which isn't so mighty in these days of drought) could be your friend or your foe. It was hard work but could have great reward.

Our leading lady Maggie is all the things that were changing at the time. She wouldn't let men take advantage of her or her friends. She was resourceful. To me she felt like a trailblazer, ahead of her time, not needing a man to have a fulfilling life.

The story is fast paced and flowed well. I absolutely adored the imagery, and could imagine myself on the banks of the Murray, watching the world glide by.

I have not read any of Ms Fraser's previous works, however I will look out for more in the future.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink