TOP 50 REVIEWER
Reviewed in Australia on 25 June 2020
To say that I was excited when I heard that Marion was releasing the third book in the Detective Clare MacKay series this year, was a massive understatement! Having only just released book 2 In Plain Sight in February, it was like all of my Christmases had come at once. If you are a regular reader of my blog, then you know just how much I love this outstanding series.

It was great to be transported back to St Andrews and into Clare’s world, where the reader is taken along for another wild ride. Clare definitely has her hands full in this latest instalment but there is no one better than her to take it all on board. With it’s strong storyline and thrilling plot twists, Lies to Tell is a brilliant addition to this series. Whilst it can be read as a standalone, I will always say that I don’t recommend you reading this without having read the other two books. This is not because you won’t be able to follow along, but is because you will be missing out on another two fantastic reads. Trust me on this!

Over the last three books, Marion has nurtured Clare into someone of real substance and she has become one of my all time favourite female lead characters. Although not without flaws, this just adds to her appeal and she really is someone that you can relate to. I really enjoyed how Marion showed us more from her personal life this time around, which enhanced the story even more and does leave the book on quite a cliffhanger and a conundrum for Clare. I know which direction I would like this to go in…

The recurring secondary characters of Chris, Sara and Diane are once again such assets to this series and really do work well with Clare. I love the working relationship between Clare and Chris and the banter they share which makes for some lighthearted moments. This instalment also sees the return of DCI Al Gibson who we were introduced to in book one, as he enlists Clare to be part of a secret mission. More mellower this time around, I really enjoyed this change in his character which made him more of a pleasure to read.

I love Marion’s style and how she is able to make me forget everything whilst reading her work. Her writing is so engaging, she makes you feel you are part of the story. Her extremely well researched plots, great characterisation and how she injects each story with the right amount of tension, suspense with thrilling twists and turns, always makes for edge of your seat exciting reads and I can’t get enough! I am so excited that it has been announced that there will be a further three books in this series and I can’t wait to see what direction Marion will take it in next.

Marion really does put her heart and soul into these books which makes it one the best crime thriller series out there and is also what makes her such an amazing talent! I am so thrilled to have been introduced to her work and I will always be the first in line to read the latest release while applauding her from afar. Once again it was my absolute pleasure to read and review another brilliant instalment in this outstanding series and it is one that I can’t recommend highly enough.

Thank you to NetGalley, Canelo and Marion Todd for allowing me to read an advanced copy of Lies To Tell which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink