TOP 1000 REVIEWER
Reviewed in Australia on 31 January 2019
I don't read that many biographies but, when i saw this, I thought "why not" and I am glad I did. I have a particular interest in Australian ex- soldiers because they tend to stay in the background a lot more than their American counterparts but, in my mind, play no less a role in the worlds worst places.
This book does a lot, not only, to tell Rob's harrowing story but also to give the reader a better understanding of what 'goes on' in this amazing, and tragic, land.
I thought I was going to get a read on life in the gaol but Rob tells an amazing story about life in the Australian army, life before this incident and his own thoughts and feeling that he needed to survive this incredibly difficult (read impossible but our terms) set of circumstances. The way this is written does NOT make you feel like you are there but more like hiding in the corner watching this 'thing' unfold.....
For a 'novice' writer Rob has a charm and straight forward attitude that gives his story an amazing level of credibility and believability. His writing style appears to be like the author himself - up front and zero BS.
I really liked this book. I liked it because it tells a story without embellishment, without hype but with bucket loads of "dealing with the inevitable" and that makes a really pleasant change for someone who likes to get immersed in the read. So - if you want to visit these places without going through the sheer horror of actually being there and if you want to have a read that leaves you gasping and shaking your head - this is it.
Have a read and be thankful there are brave, and hard, men like Rob who are out there trying to make a difference.
One person found this helpful
0Comment Report abuse Permalink