Reviewed in Australia on 8 May 2020
School valedictorian Mai has a crush on baseball player Anthony, a match that makes no sense. But, then again, “crushes aren’t sensible.” In fact, the two of them are opposites. As Anthony says, “we have almost nothing in common - from the way we were brought up to the way we want to live our lives.” Nevertheless, when Anthony runs into Mai over spring break, she “woke something up in me. Made me feel human again.” When school goes back, Mai comes to her senses and breaks it off, even though (or especially because) she is still attracted to him. Anthony volunteers for a program Mai is attending because he figures that “I just need to spend more time with you, and all the ways we’re different are going to start bugging me.” Mai and Anthony decide that a two-week fling is just what they need to get over each other. So, they begin “planning dates … that we’ll love and the other person will hate.” Hmm, I wonder how that will work out for them.

The story is told alternately by Mai and Anthony, who are both beautifully flawed, totally likable and, in fact, perfect for each other. This book is cute, humorous, romantic, and full of baseball references. What’s not to love?

I received this book in return for an honest review.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink