Reviewed in Australia on 16 October 2014
I am so pleased to have another of Barbara's wonderful historical novels to read. My husband and I have read everything she has published and love them. Her books catch you on the first page, cast their spell, and when you reach the end you are hoping for more. Barbara's characters's are so believable, you feel actually entwined in their lives and love. She is also sympathetic of the social mores of the age, not usual in a novel. She is a master of suspense, intrigue and holding the reader's attention. One of my requirements of any historical novels is that they are true to the period and to the historical characters. Barbara's knowledge of medieval history is legendary, and I love the way she weaves pictures of the clothing, foods, living conditions, the layout of the city - London here. I can see her background study for this (and other) novels is extensive and extremely accurate.

Reading this book has us both reading Annette Carson's 'The Maligned King' which Barbara mention's in her Author's Note & Acknowledgements. Not very many Historical Novels elicit that kind of response. Richard the Third and his times are fascinating, This is a period where the Tudor victors seem to have rewritten history and it is nice to see this reflected in Barbara's book. I like books also to give some details of main Historical Character's - thank you.

'The King's Shadow' seems to have left us expecting a sequel.

Of course many of Barbara's books do that. Her characters becoming friends, involving us in their lives. Our first book was 'Fair Weather' We both feel it her best and hope she will one day write to tell us just where life took Vespasian and Molly. This book was first published only as an online book. Now it seems unavailable. How I would like it and 'Satin Cinnabar' to be published as a hard copy.
One person found this helpful
0Comment Report abuse Permalink