#1 REVIEWER
Reviewed in Australia on 29 September 2017
If this hadn't been a Kindle daily deal I probably wouldn't have stumbled across it as I wasn't familiar with Lisa Wingate's books prior to reading this fictional story based on a true American historical tragedy, I certainly was unaware of the magnitude of the injustice to American children and families. I particularly enjoy fictional stories that are based in history so this ticked a lot of boxes for me as I was transported yet learnt something along the way.

I am so pleased I did buy "Before We Were Yours" as it is an engrossing story and an eye opener about Georgia Tann and the Tennesee Children's Home Society in the 1930s time frame. Set in both the 1930s and present day the book follows the story of the Foss children in the '30s and Avery Stafford in present day.

Avery Stafford finds an unusual photograph that causes her to unearth a number of secrets and lies inside her upright, respected family. What follows is a heartwarming story of love, betrayal and memories pieced together from a heart wrenching period in time.

This was easy to read despite the challenging subject matter, which just made it utterly thought provoking. I enjoyed the characters and how the book was layered to reveal parts of the story at a time. In addition to the well developed characters and background love story, I liked the realistic view of the 1930s. The book has parallel story lines that weave together nicely.

This is a beautiful story of heartache, love and the unthinkable. It made me Google more info and read up on what took place during that period. I know it will stay with me for a long time.
8 people found this helpful