20 April 2015
This book was so interesting and well-paced, I was drawn in and couldn't put it down. I enjoyed seeing the development of an addict within the context of a comfortable middle-class home. Many interesting characters fill the pages, not the least of which was a quite difficult 5-year-old daughter. Weiner paints a believable, even riveting, picture of a modern-day middle-aged woman trying and failing to juggle motherhood, career, marriage, finances, and social/peer pressure.

For me, at the age where I have adult children, I enjoyed seeing what it's like for these people in their late 30s, early 40s. And I like Weiner's voice: it's funny, sometimes snarky, feminist, and down-to-earth. I wish she were old enough to write about people my age (60 and above).

Minor spoiler alert: You may want to skip the next paragraph.

Two mild negatives: unless I missed it, nothing was said about the husband's selfishness which was definitely a factor in driving Allison to her pill addiction. Also, I wondered how Allison supported herself at the end of the book, since there was no mention of the job.

But having enjoyed this story so much, I plan to look back and see what other books of Weiner's I may have missed.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink