31 August 2018
I was looking forward to the release of Wild Fire knowing it was to be the last of the Shetland Series. In the previous books, I had enjoyed the plots, engaged with the main characters as their personalities were developed throughout the series , enjoyed the idiosyncrasies of the secondary characters, some of whom had appeared in more than one book and I had been entranced by the wild Shetland scenery and weather that had been brought alive with evocative prose - Shetland is on my must-visit list as a result of the series.
With all this in mind, I am sad to say that Wild Fire was a disappointment and I was left with the feeling that it was written because of contractual obligations rather than because there was a good story to be told or because Cleeve wanted to give her characters a good send off. To start with, the way the plot played out was not realistic or well thought out. None of the secondary characters were well developed, except, perhaps for Christopher. Nor were any of them likeable. The story could have been located anywhere - there was little description of the Shetland landscape or its community. All we heard about was the fog - it was foggy or it wasn't foggy. Lastly, the outcome of the relationship between Perez & Willow, which was an ongoing tension throughout the book, was not well thought out. My reading experience would have been enhanced if the book finished with them on the boat, but not knowing the rather pedestrian decision they had made about their futures. I think we could have been tantalised with possible alternatives and left to speculate about how they each could have turned out. Instead, I felt like there were a certain number of words that had to be written & once they were finished, the computer was turned off & the author walked away without another thought.
2 people found this helpful