Reviewed in Australia on 6 October 2014
Review of Gothic Revival
a novel by Carson Buckingham

It has been a very long time since I read a book that I didn’t want to finish. And I couldn’t forecast the ending. Not often I’m caught out!

One of the things I like so much about this book was the carefully-drawn main characters. Although they loved each other to bits, they were, never-the-less, not always on the same page. Plenty of differences causing all manner of ructions, twists and turns in the plot. Yet the plot flowed effortlessly, never getting caught up in obscure off-shoots or throwing in new characters just to keep up the interest. The other characters were diverse and most were deliciously creepy. All cleverly written.

Another positive thing for me personally was the proliferation of shortish chapters. I get seriously yawn-stricken with some very famous authors who insist on never-ending chapter lengths as if they can do anything they please because they are famous. I’m no novelist, but surely I’m not alone in this. Short chapters rock! For me, 100 page chapters cause me to fall asleep and/or bookmark part way through which annoys the hell out of me. I’m a bit OCD, and I like to put the book down at night at a chapter’s end, the easier to pick up next time. Buckingham is a master (mistress?) at this.

Ms Buckingham is also a genius at dialogue. This novel is loaded with it. I have read thousands of novels and not too many authors can keep a book interestingly operative with so much dialogue. That got five stars from me alone!

Overall, I was very impressed with this author’s work. I can find no criticism with it except that I was lusting for another 600 pages!! There are many other things I could say, but won’t, for spoiling the reader’s enjoyment. It is a novel worth buying to keep rather than borrowing. Forget the library. Buy this book and you will be very, very sorry. Sorry when you come to the end of the last subtly climactic page.

John Irvine