Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn More Learn More Learn more Learn More Learn More

TOP 50 REVIEWER
20 May 2019
Not a single aspect in this book with which I would wish to disagree - this is a powerful statement on issues of being treated differently, disrespectfully so - based on perceptions of race and gender and other intersections. I may be male and Australian and 70 (next week) but these are matters I have been pondering over and studying about and working to change - formally and informally - from when I was 10 years old - 1959 - asking my mother why all the tributes were flowing to Albert NAMATJIRA upon his death - when his treatment during the latter years of his life had been so discriminatory. Over 30 years ago in England I met a cousin's partner/later his wife - from Trinidad - a nursing sister - out of a marriage in France - twin daughters. A truly larger than life character - she was as direct a person as I had ever met. So, she began - And who was Toussaint L'Ouverture! Unused to being quizzed from out of left field on a first meeting - nevertheless I was able to satisfactorily answer the question - thanking my lucky stars that my brother's French wife has a brother with the name Toussaint - and their father from Corsica - part of the reason I had had some background association/knowledge...or there was the time in London in 1976 when my wife and I shared a basement flat with Shane - a young New Zealander and Mickey - a chap from Trinidad. Or friend Jilly with a nightclub named for her by Vince - her partner - himself out of the Caribbean. Learning from our friends how the world is constituted. I spent years in Japan where I was very aware of the unearned privilege my pink complexion brought me. This is an excellent account of a life trying to make sense of what a different complexion means. In Arizona nearly 20 years ago - an uncle - originally out of south-west Alberta - then teaching at the Embury-Riddle School of Aeronautics campus in Scottsdale - told me that US justice means Just US - it's not for anyone else - and that was before George Dubya... The reader might have to think on that.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink