29 May 2017
I'm very on the fence with this book, thus the three stars. A solid middle ground.
This book is being heralded as a feminist classic... but to be honest, I don't really see it. Estés talks a lot about the masculine/feminine nature, spirituality, and psychology, but nothing really about about feminism. Perhaps its the idea of it 'unlocking' the desires and feelings women it claims to do, through analysing fairy tales, folk tales and mythology through a Jungian lens.
However, I didn't really conncect to anything, except the chapter about body image. And there was barely even any analysis in that chapter, just a recollection of thoughts and feelings on Estés end, that I agreed with.
The thing was, Estés is talking like all women have a collective experience, like, we all want to give birth, for instance.
Also, in the beginning, Estés says something like 'this book is for all people, no matter their class, education, gender, sexuality', but I found some problems with that.
The book is very academically inclined and unnecessarily dense and filled with jargon that I would have a hard time imagining a non-reader or a 'casual reader' even finishing this book. A lot of the analysis of the stories are somewhat heteronormative and you can tell is only directed towards cisgender women. It was published in the 90's, so maybe I can forgive the oversight, since mainstream conversations about trans rights were barely starting, and I can't imagine a cis woman who shys away from calling herself a feminist (which I don't have a problem with, but this book is supposedly feminist, so it seems a little strange to me) even thinking about the topic.
So. I really just ended up skimming the last half. At least one section was worthwhile.
4 people found this helpful