TOP 100 REVIEWER
Reviewed in Australia on 26 May 2020
Following on from Talk of the Town, Something to Talk About brings readers back to the West Australian dairy farming town of Walsh and the tiny neighbouring ghost town of Rose Hill. This is Tabitha Cooper-Jones’ story and it’s a cracker!
Tab is one of those women who just amaze you with their ability to do just about anything whether it’s making amazing ice-cream, helping coach the junior cricket team, running a tea room and bed and breakfast with her sister in law Meg or knitting, all with only one arm. She’s also a warm and loving sister to her brother Lachlan and aunt to his son Ned. I admired her spunk for all of those things but also for her decision to have a baby by herself.
I was on the fence about Fergus for a while. One minute I thought he was the cat’s pyjamas and the next I thought he was an arrogant prat. He seemed to blow hot and cold and it took me just as long as it took Tabitha to work out why. I loved the way he and Tabitha were when they were together—clearly in love even if they didn’t know it. These were two very well crafted characters and it was easy to care about them.
The story itself has a relaxed country feel about it with the town preparing for its hundredth agricultural show, cows being put on and off the milking machine and families coming together for Sunday dinner. It flows beautifully, provides plenty of smiles and definitely kept me turning the pages. I was sad when I had to say goodbye to Ferg and Tab at the end of their story but I’m sure they’ll have many happy years together. This has been a lovely read.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink