13 December 2015
The blurb drew me in as did the first chapter, when a priest is murdered by drug overdose during shenanigans with a prostitute and a chuck out of the window. It would seem the story had the makings for a must-read thriller one go. It had the ingredients after all: mystery serial killer, missing pieces, colourful characters and at times, the writing was OK, but I found myself not anticipating the next instalment for some reason. There was a lot of bantering going on. It seems we need to know about the close-ish relationship between cousins Nicky and Joe as well as the chatter between other characters with some verbal to-ing and fro-ing that simply slowed the plot.

And so the serial killer is stuck in Halloween 1988 when something traumatic has happened and the pieces do not add up until the end. I could see what was coming at times and the climax felt drawn out and I wanted it to end. It was an OK read and some might enjoy it, but the story lacked real tension and I wouldn’t call it a page-turner. There were some pretty gruesome acts in the story, which might make the story a more memorable read, but not necessarily for the right reasons.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink