Reviewed in Australia on 4 September 2018
Trigger Warnings: physical abuse, kidnapping, cultural erasure, death, murder, grief, forced body altercations,

Mirage was one of my most anticipated reads of 2018, and it did not disappoint. Somaiya Daud’s writing is absolutely beautiful and kept me enthralled throughout the novel. Mirage is an own voices Moroccan inspired science fiction/fantasy story, with diverse characters and a star-crossed romance. The world building in this book is so well done. Mirage is a book that will stick with you long after finishing it, this book will definitely be on my end of the year favourites list.

Mirage is told in the first person from Amani’s point of view. Amani is a wonderful character. It is great to see how she grows, and changes throughout the novel. I loved seeing the romance develop and I can’t wait to see what happens in the next book. Maram is such a complex villain and it was interesting to see the dynamics between her and Amani.

Overall, Mirage is an amazing political sci-fi/fantasy story with great characters and beautiful writing. If you love sci-fi/fantasy stories definitely pick up a copy!

Thank you to Hachette Australia for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review.
One person found this helpful
Report abuse Permalink