19 June 2018
Sorry, I only got to page 600. Nearly at the end, but I don't think I will ever get there. The length of time it takes to get through each new page without taking a break is increasing exponentially. There is I'm sure a denouement coming where all will be explained, but unfortunately I've given up caring . The plot is certainly elegant and complex but is simply not sufficiently interesting for 700 pages.
I like long rambling and digressive novels, and this certainly qualifies with the human investigator of an almost all-powerful surveillance AI governing
a future Britain delving through the multiple memories stored in the brain of a deceased novelist/librarian, which may or may not be real (I did say I hadn't finished the book) ranging from St Augustine's mistress to an invading hive mind from the far future, but after page 250 I thought I should really be interested in what it all meant and what was about to happen next, but I wasn't. There's no sense mysteries raised really matter to anyone in the book, let alone to the reader.
Incidentally, a minor but irritating niggle is that the character of the lead character/police investigator Mielikki Neath is exactly the same as every senior policewoman in every police procedural I've ever read in the last 20 years.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink