TOP 500 REVIEWER
6 November 2018
I started reading this and immediately noted the similarities to the ‘Forgotten’ series and thought I may be reading a prelude but, never fear, this book appears to be an alternate to the storyline in the other series. I say ‘may’ because I HAVE to read the next instalment to know what is going on here. This appears to be a brilliant turn of connection - or maybe it IS a part of the forgotten series - I don’t know. I don’t know because Mr Forbes is such a great writer that his links can be tenuous or strong depending on the needs of the story.
So - to the book. The baddies in this story are VERY bad and the characters used cover a very wide gamut of ‘styles’ so the story, essentially, ebbs and flows around these people and their struggle to survive. The story is written so well and I was so immersed in the storyline that I actually felt the distress of not having hope but the sarg hammered me back into line for the rest of the story. The people in here are an amazing and you can imagine how each of them will end up right to the last sentence where the tone for the next chapter is set up in a way that, again, makes you wonder because isn’t that what writing is ALL about? taking the reader on a ride where they can ‘be’ elsewhere and experience ALL the emotions - without the danger. This book does this in spades and is typical of Mr Forbes writing style which is compelling and scary all at the same time.

So - if you are thinking of reading the Earth Forgotten series and are wondering which series to read first my advice is ...it doesn’t matter really. The FE series was engrossing and so so well told that either can be read and enjoyed even IF you can see the parallels.
So - roll on end of month. I really want to see where this is going.
2 people found this helpful