23 November 2015
After twelve years of living with distant relatives, sixteen year old Winter had decided that it is time to return to her childhood home. Upon her return, questions concerning the events of her parent’s death are uncovered leaving Winter confused but determined for answers.

I applaud Marsden on writing such a fantastic and well written novel. Many novels that I read nowadays have excess and so many unnecessary words spat out onto the pages, but in Winter you can see that each word has a purpose and meaning stringing together wonderful paragraphs.

“I so wanted this moment to be profound. I wanted to stand at the gate and drink it all in, gazing at the stone pillars and the spaces for the coach lamps, at the long drive lined with rhododendrons and hydrangeas. I wanted to see what had been wisps in my mind, and bring the vague dreams and memories back to life.”

Winter was depicted perfectly as a moody, confused teenage girl. The climax was perhaps a little disappointing as I was expecting something bigger to happen but Marsden managed to keep the storyline fast paced and engaging. I will be definitely reading more of Marsden’s work.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink