TOP 100 REVIEWER
Reviewed in Australia on 23 May 2020
I love Darry Fraser’s ability to sweep readers away from our busy modern lives and into an earlier time in our history. Elsa Goody, Bushranger does just that as it takes us back to the end of the 19th century, to difficult times in rural South Australia and Victoria, where hardship comes in the form of illness and poverty.
I was so taken with Elsa, a strong woman who was willing and able to both care for her ailing father and farm their tiny allotment ensuring that even with no stock left there would be something on the dinner table. I also loved her passion and determination to be the first woman to vote in her town. Clearly Elsa was a woman determined to make her mark and in this novel she surely does. I was swept away with her grit in the face of the challenges she faced, both losing the last of her three brothers and then her father in quick succession and in seeking out the stranger who had cared for her brother in his last hours.
While this story is largely Elsa’s, and thank goodness there was Zeke to bring some happiness into her life, it is also peppered with other lively characters. Her sister Rosie is largely a burden born with grace, while Zeke and his children are bright shining lights. The characters very much make this story and I found myself utterly invested in them and their lives.
Late 19th century rural Australia offers a far from easy lifestyle and I certainly sat up and took a hard look at my own life in comparison to how it was in those times. This book, while fictional, certainly provided what I believe to be a very accurate picture and one that I found utterly fascinating.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink