I understand that this book has received rave reviews, and I wonder if they are reviewing the author, not the book. There is no perceivable plot and it is hard to relate to the characters, who are more caricaturized than relatable. Perhaps it was meant to run on and on, year after year, with no plan, as it does with most people. They just live and react to their own milieu.
That basic criticism said, I found the setting descriptions very well done. Her use of opening each year with detailed descriptions of the time of year the action takes place worth emulating. Her craft of writing is excellent.
- Paperback: 416 pages
- Publisher: Vintage Publishing (6 October 2016)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1784872237
- ISBN-13: 978-1784872236
- Product Dimensions: 13.2 x 2.8 x 17.8 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 222 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 11,781 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)