It took a while to get down deep as to what was going on in the family dynamics. I think the author really wanted to illustrate first how much the dynamic was affecting both the girls in their relationships with others, without their being very conscious of it. But then as the girls really came to understand their mother, their own lives became more clear and they were able to work out what was important to them.
I was a bit unsure as to why their father did not say more to relieve the girls' hurt feelings, except to cryptically tell them to listen to their mother's fairy stories. Why didn't he just tell them that their mother had had a difficult life back in Russia?
The final twist to the story I found a bit too coincidental and unbelievable, although a satisfying wrap up. I won't give too much away.
- Audible Audiobook
- Listening Length: 14 hours and 38 minutes
- Program Type: Audiobook
- Version: Unabridged
- Publisher: Brilliance Audio
- Audible.com.au Release Date: 27 December 2009
- Whispersync for Voice: Ready
- Language: English, English
- ASIN: B00NX7C1ZY
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 7,490 in Audible (See Top 100 in Audible)