For military service members, veterans, and families—and all those who write about them!
Tap into PUBLISHING INSPIRATIONS, WRITING MARKETS, and CREATIVE TECHNIQUES with advice from MORE THAN 60 BEST-SELLING, ESTABLISHED, and EMERGING AUTHORS of military, national security, and war topics!
Whether you're writing military-themed genre fiction or literary non-fiction, strategy or policy analysis, history or journalism, or even modern war poetry, Why We Write: Craft Essays on Writing War puts an arsenal of innovation and expertise at your fingertips!
Choose your weapons: Podcasts! Memoirs! Novels! Book reviews! Short stories! Op-Ed essays! And more!
Entertaining, informal, and accessible, this first-ever Military Writers Guild-sponsored anthology is ideal for:
- Aspiring writers & practicing professionals
- Writing workshops
- Classroom discussions of war literature, literary history, and popular culture
- Professional development forums
Contributors include such leading authors as:
- Phil Klay (Redeployment)
- Vanya Eftimova Bellinger (Marie von Clausewitz: The Woman Behind the Making of “On War”)
- David Abrams (Fobbit and Brave Deeds)
- Alex Finley (Victor in the Rubble and Victor in the Jungle)
- Gayle Tzemach Lemmon (Ashley’s War and The Dressmaker of Khair Khana)
- Thomas E. Ricks (Churchill & Orwell: The Fight for Freedom; The Generals; Fiasco; The Gamble)
- Kate Germano (Fight Like a Girl: The Truth Behind How Female Marines are Trained)
- Peter Van Buren (We Meant Well and Hooper’s War)
- Kori Schake (Safe Passage; Warriors and Citizens)
- Max Brooks (World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War)
- Jessica Scott (The Coming Home; Falling; and Homefront romance series)
- Carmen Gentile (Blindsided by the Taliban: A Journalist's Story of War, Trauma, Love, and Loss)
- Hugh Martin (In Country; Stick Soldiers; and So, How Was the War?)
- Robert L. Bateman (No Gun Ri: A Military History of the Korean War Incident and Digital War: A View from the Front Lines)
- P.W. Singer & August Cole (Ghost Fleet: A Novel of the Next World War)