This is nice storybook telling of how Eclipse's work. Very descriptive and clearly stated. Not overly scientific, but enough for a kid to learn. The artwork is clean and descriptive. I loved the fact that it had the children learning from the grandparents.
Two things I didn't like, and really turned me off the book. I felt both of these commentaries were unnecessary to the narrative to the book, and pushed a negative attitude towards those family members mentioned. No educational book, should teach such disrespectful attitudes.
1) The fact that the grandmother "gave permission" to grandfather to join in and help teach. There was no reason for this to be mentioned at all, as it added nothing to the lessons being taught.
2) Multiple negative and "know it all" comments by the little girl, usually towards her brother. Again, there is no reason for these points to be made as it had nothing to do with the story being told. We are learning about eclipses, not life lessons here. Further, it made the girl come across very snotty and rude.
- Paperback: 36 pages
- Publisher: NSTA Kids (30 May 2017)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1681400111
- ISBN-13: 978-1681400112
- Product Dimensions: 24.1 x 0.3 x 27.9 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 113 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item