This has been the book of the last year that I enjoyed the most: it is a huge book, but I wished it was huger.
It was written 1940-1944 and first published in Polish in 1957, but it seems very fresh today: Bobkowski was an environmentalist avant la lettre, and a globalist (Polish emigre to France, ending up in Guatemala).
Until this year it was not available in English; I can't vouch for how good a translation it is, but I enjoyed the translators' work. I thank them for bringing it into English.
I looked Bobkowski up in Wikipedia and did not find him in there at all, at least not in English Wikipedia, but some information is available on the Web in Polish. I trust someone will make a Wikipedia page for him in English (maybe I will do that myself soon).
I read this in the Kindle version but later bought myself the hardback as well. Both are nice editions.
- Hardcover: 704 pages
- Publisher: Yale University Press; 1 edition (4 January 2019)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0300176716
- ISBN-13: 978-0300176711
- Product Dimensions: 15.2 x 4.4 x 22.9 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 1.1 Kg
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 163,312 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)