I was hoping for an aesthetically pleasing but simple book to give as a gift. It was disappointing to handle something so ugly and awkward - hard to open - poorly bound. 'Imperfect' doesn't mean unskilled or poorly judged. The grey and white printed images - which looked as if they had been hastily reproduced on a photocopier - were from badly lit and ill composed photographs; the text was didactic with too many negative value judgements: his analysis of modernism for instance: 'ostensibly slick', 'mass produced', 'seamless and smooth' was particularly ill informed. Although he writes of the virtues of ambiguity and intuition he expresses absolute certainties in 'bullet points' and contentious definitions.
I am going to buy a tea bowl instead.
- Paperback: 96 pages
- Publisher: Imperfect Publishing (1 November 2008)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0981484603
- ISBN-13: 978-0981484600
- Product Dimensions: 14.2 x 1 x 21.6 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 181 g
- Customer Reviews: 270 customer ratings
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 20,952 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)