I'll start by saying that I love the four songs that were already released by the time the whole album was released (ordered by my preference):
6. wish you were gay
4. you should see me in a crown
7. when the party's over
10. bury a friend
Billie and Finneas are at the top of their game, both musically, and from the lyrics perspective. They write extremely punchy, catchy songs, and Billie's soft & sweet voice juxtaposes against the dark lyrics amazingly. I also love their use of extraneous sounds (like the sound of a knife being sharpened, and sirens in the distance in "you should see me in a crown", the distortion in “xanny”, the "The Office" sound clips in “my strange addiction”) to punctuate the message of particular songs.
Aside from the four listed above, I also liked the following (listed in my ranked order):
5. all the good girls go to hell
9. my strange addiction
13. I love you
12. listen before I go: I wouldn’t say I like this song, as in I wouldn’t just play it to enjoy myself, but I appreciate how extremely dark it is, to the point of being disturbing because of how real that situation is to some people.
All in all, this is a solid second album.
- Vinyl (29 March 2019)
- Original Release Date: 29 March 2019
- Number of Discs: 1
- Format: Import
- Label: POLYDOR
- ASIN: B07N3RG76T
- Other Editions: Audio CD | Vinyl
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 13 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)