For those of us who were present throughout the Viet Nam war from 1949 until 1974 this book is a must read. I believe that it will become the definitive work on this conflict. Many of the myths of the war are laid bare and some unknown question for me are asked. To watch de Gaulle seriously think he could reimpose colonial rule on Indo China in 1949 is laughable but he appears to have learnt nothing from Sir Winston Churchill during WW11. To say America repeated Frances mistakes is simplistic but it is true that America was guilty of being besotted with bringing the main body of the NVA to battle; something even the NVA were not stupid enough to try.
Di-spite the NVA, the conflict was lost not on the battlefield but at home (USA) amid the cant and rubbish of the late sixties and early seventies.
This is an outstanding book and I congratulate Max Hastings on another best seller meticulous researched and wonderfully written.
- Audible Audiobook
- Listening Length: 33 hours and 33 minutes
- Program Type: Audiobook
- Version: Unabridged
- Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers Limited
- Audible.com.au Release Date: 20 September 2018
- Whispersync for Voice: Ready
- Language: English, English
- ASIN: B07BNQQM97
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 2,714 in Audible (See Top 100 in Audible)