Contrary to popular culture, it was not Americans who participated in now what is known as "The Great Escape".
The escapees were from Britain, Canada, New Zealand, Norway, South Africa, Poland, the Netherlands, Czechoslovakia and Australia.
A little known aspect is the Australian involvement.
In what is obviously a labour of love, the niece of Squadron Leader John Williams has written an appealing book on her late uncle who was among the fifty escapees murdered by the Gestapo.
I recommend this book. It is a welcome addition to the library of books that chronicle the fascinating but flawed endeavour known by movie goers, the world over...
- Paperback: 296 pages
- Publisher: ALLEN & UNWIN (29 March 2017)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1760296147
- ISBN-13: 978-1760296148
- Product Dimensions: 12.7 x 2.3 x 20.3 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 299 g
- Average Customer Review: 4 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 182,800 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)