Amazon groups all reviews together for different editions of the "same" book. What is missed is that different editions are really different books. These very brief comments refer to the print version of the Oxford Philosophical Text version of David Hume's A Treatise of Human Nature, edited by David Fate Norton and Mary J. Norton.
This edition is a wonderful piece of scholarship, with illuminating commentary and notes. I found this edition to be especially helpful for my students. There is a long introductory essay, comments throughout the text, notes and a glossary.
Even if you have the Selby-Bigge edition, every Hume scholar and serious student should add this to their library. Other than the Selby-Bigge and Oxford editions, avoid all other print editions. (By Oxford editions, I refer to this version and the version also edited by the Nortons under the Clarendon Series label.)
- Paperback: 688 pages
- Publisher: Penguin Books Ltd; 1 edition (31 October 1985)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 9780140432442
- ISBN-13: 978-0140432442
- ASIN: 0140432442
- Product Dimensions: 12.9 x 3.1 x 19.8 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 458 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 88,012 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)