This book helped me change my life. I realized a bit late in life (50ish) that I'd been dissociating for most of my life. Seemingly from trauma as a baby and child.
Judith Herman writes this book with such love, and nurturing and caring. I read it very slowly, with a highlighter. I could only read it a bit at a time, to give myself time to process. The book helped me understand things that had been mysteries to me my entire life! I hadn't made the PTSD connection before. Life has a way of illuminating things. At first, I wanted to track Dr. Herman down and see her for a few sessions. Too bad I don't have that kind of money :-) I found a PTSD group via MeetUps, and started working with the therapist who runs it and offers a sliding scale. I'm an integrated and joyful person these days.
- Paperback: 336 pages
- Publisher: Basic Books; 1R edition (7 July 2015)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0465061710
- ISBN-13: 978-0465061716
- Product Dimensions: 14 x 2.9 x 21 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 476 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 8,697 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)