This is an interesting book. It is more history than cookbook (there are only a few recipes scattered throughout), but it is still a great look at Australian history through its food. It covers from the 1860’s through 2009. National brands, first cookbooks, pricing through history, famous restaurants, food trends and more are covered here.
There are a few recipes scattered throughout from a Butterless and Eggless Fruit Cake from 1944 to Deep Fried Camembert from 1988, they are little windows in time to popular dishes of the era.
If you are looking for an Australian cookbook, this is not it. If you are wanting Australian history through food, you’ll love this book. It is quite interesting!
I received a copy of this book from NewSouth Publishing through IPG for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
- Paperback: 256 pages
- Publisher: NewSouth; None ed. edition (4 December 2017)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1742235344
- ISBN-13: 978-1742235349
- Product Dimensions: 17.1 x 1.8 x 23.5 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 540 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 28,147 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)