W. Somerset Maugham's, "Theatre," is a rich, insightful novel about the theatre and the people who work in the profession and the audiences that adore the actors. Maybe it's because I once was a theater major in college that I so thoroughly loved this novel. The character of Julia Lambert, a famous, extremely talent actress, who cannot disassociate everyday reality, from the characters she plays on stage is an amazing portrayal and depiction of the insecurities and obsessions that accompany greatness.
This book reminds me of the great movie "All About Eve" and like that movie this novel is as enthralling and mesmerizing as any book I have read about the theater. I strongly recommend this wonderful piece of art.
- Paperback: 256 pages
- Publisher: VINTAGE ARROW - MASS MARKET; 1 edition (6 July 2001)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 9780099286837
- ISBN-13: 978-0099286837
- ASIN: 0099286831
- Product Dimensions: 12.9 x 1.6 x 19.8 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 181 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 294,879 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)