I assumed this book was going to be over-hyped purely because the hype was RIDICULOUS.
tl;dr Eggs and bacon I was mistaken.
The writing is as delicious as the villain is genuinely upsetting. That statement deserves to be expanded upon: The writing is freaking EDIBLE. It is abundant with metaphorical dessert descriptions to the point where I should warn you not to read this hungry. The villain is unbearably awful – possibly because at her core she is almost identical to our heroine.
I happen to think that beauty on a human being is as pointless as a hat on a rat. This is the line that let me know I was in good hands with Dhonielle Clayton:
“I want to make the people of Orléans love themselves.”
Ivy continues down the hall. “You are here to make things beautiful,” she says.
ANYWAY I liked this book a lot and am immediately ready to read more from this world.
- Audible Audiobook
- Listening Length: 12 hours and 56 minutes
- Program Type: Audiobook
- Version: Unabridged
- Publisher: Orion Publishing Group Ltd
- Audible.com.au Release Date: 8 February 2018
- Whispersync for Voice: Ready
- Language: English, English
- ASIN: B078X2TKXC
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 20,652 in Audible (See Top 100 in Audible)