Teaching Today's Mathematics in the Middle Grades Paperback – 14 September 2005
Enhance your purchase
From the Back Cover
The authors focus exclusively on the middle school learner and the middle school mathematics curriculum. Although each chapter discusses foundational mathematics concepts from earlier grades and previews topics that will follow the middle grades, the emphasis is on the middle school. This selective focus allows for proper development of critical topics in the middle school such as proportionality algebraic thinking, and the integral role of manipulatives. Assessment practices and problem solving are also emphasized from the viewpoint of effective practices for middle school students.
- React and Reflect features prompt classroom discussions by asking the reader to think independently regarding a statement, issue, or concern.
- Try This features ask the reader to solve a problem first, or extend the current discussion by working on an extension of a problem. By completing the problem first, teachers are putting themselves in the place of their students, helping the teacher discover first-hand common misconceptions.
- Numerous exercises and activities appear at the end of each chapter to reinforce student understanding of various topics and ensure mastery of the mathematics content.
- The NCTM Principles and Standards are emphasized throughout the book, beginning with a discussion in Chapter 1. Each of the content chapters (6–11) opens with the relevant NCTM content standards for that chapter. In addition, marginal icons highlight areas within the text in which the NCTM process standards are discussed.
Reviewers rave. . .
“From the content, organization, and approach, it is evident that the authors have years of teaching experience. This gives the text authority.”
―Marina Krause, California State University–Long Beach
“The authors do an excellent job of presenting in sequential order essential concepts, methodology, activities, and technological resources essential to assist [the] beginning math teacher in preparing to teach in the middle school program.”
―Gerald Jarmon, North Carolina Central University
- Publisher : Pearson (14 September 2005)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 400 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0205433596
- ISBN-13 : 978-0205433599
- Dimensions : 21.59 x 2.54 x 27.43 cm
|5 star (0%)||0%|
|4 star (0%)||0%|
|3 star (0%)||0%|
|2 star (0%)||0%|
|1 star (0%)||0%|