Each recipe features step-by-step instructions, Accad's warm teaching style and breathtaking color photographs that will make mouths water. Divided into sections including Breads, Breakfast, and Sandwiches; Soups; Mezze Delights; Main Dishes (Stews, Kibbeh, Stuffed Vegetables, and Rice Dishes); plus Pastries and Drinks, here is just a taste of the recipes featured:
- Spinach turnovers (Fatayer bel-sabanegh)
- Meat pies (Sfeeha)
- Kibbeh tartare (vegan)
- Red pepper and walnut dip (Muhammara)
- Lebanese couscous (Moghrabieh)
- Red lentils and rice purée (Mujaddara Safra)
- Eggplant casserole with tomato, meat
and yogurt sauce topping (Fattet al-makdoos)
- Meat loaf with potato slices (Kafta bel-saniyeh)
- Zucchini or cauliflower fritters
- Wings, Lebanese-style
- Fattoush salad
- Beet hummus (Mama dallou'a)
- Zaatar and tapénade bread
- Wheat berry and milk pudding (Amhiyet bel-haleeb)
- Sesame and pistachio cookies (Barazek)
- Lebanese semolina cheesecake (Knafeh)
- Baklava in a speedy ten-minute version!
While The Taste of Beirut brings to life the rich, complex, and delicious flavors of the Middle East, each recipe is refreshingly easy to make. The author's passionate, conversational style will make readers feel like they have a friend from Lebanon right in their kitchen, teaching them everything from cooking techniques to how to stock a kitchen with the best ingredients.
Even more than a fabulous Lebanese cookbook, The Taste of Beirut is a proud celebration of people, culture, and cuisine.