Effectively query and modify data using Transact-SQL
Master T-SQL fundamentals and write robust code for Microsoft SQL Server and Azure SQL Database. Itzik Ben-Gan explains key T-SQL concepts and helps you apply your knowledge with hands-on exercises. The book first introduces T-SQL’s roots and underlying logic. Next, it walks you through core topics such as single-table queries, joins, subqueries, table expressions, and set operators. Then the book covers more-advanced data-query topics such as window functions, pivoting, and grouping sets. The book also explains how to modify data, work with temporal tables, and handle transactions, and provides an overview of programmable objects.
Microsoft Data Platform MVP Itzik Ben-Gan shows you how to:
- Review core SQL concepts and its mathematical roots
- Create tables and enforce data integrity
- Perform effective single-table queries by using the SELECT statement
- Query multiple tables by using joins, subqueries, table expressions, and set operators
- Use advanced query techniques such as window functions, pivoting, and grouping sets
- Insert, update, delete, and merge data
- Use transactions in a concurrent environment
- Get started with programmable objects–from variables and batches to user-defined functions, stored procedures, triggers, and dynamic SQL
About the Author
TZIK BEN-GAN is a mentor with and co-founder of SolidQ. A Microsoft Data Platform MVP since 1999, Itzik has taught numerous training events around the world focused on T-SQL querying, query tuning, and programming. Itzik is the author of several books about T-SQL. He has written many articles for SQL Server Pro as well as articles and white papers for MSDN and The SolidQ Journal. Itzik’s speaking engagements include Tech-Ed, SQL PASS, SQL Server Connections, presentations to various SQL Server user groups, and SolidQ events.
Itzik is a subject-matter expert within SolidQ for its T-SQL related activities. He authored SolidQ’s Advanced T-SQL and T-SQL Fundamentals courses and delivers them regularly worldwide. You can learn more about Itzik at http://tsql.solidq.com/.