An adventure to Mars. With its twist exposed in the title!
One of Wyndham's lighter tales (although he can't resist a little darkness in the end) the story takes us on the first trip to Mars, manned or otherwise. Written in 1935, but set in 1981, the book has aged ok. Although some attitudes, particularly to women, are firmly rooted in the 1930s the story telling is great. Some of the science is 1930s too, with belief in canals on Mars still strong.
A proper adventure ensues once we reach Mars and our intrepid explorers find out some of the secrets the red planet holds.
Recommend to fans of classic Sci-fi and John Wyndham in particular.
- Paperback: 192 pages
- Publisher: Penguin (General UK); 1 edition (1 November 2016)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0241977029
- ISBN-13: 978-0241977026
- Product Dimensions: 13.1 x 1.2 x 19.7 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 141 g
- Customer Reviews: 12 customer ratings
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 213,407 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)