Scotland's survival hangs on an outlaw king on the run."Absolutely fantastic....Best historical novel I've ever read about Scotland during the days of Robert the Bruce." -- librarian Debbi DuBose
James Douglas vows to avenge his father's murder.
Isabelle MacDuff prays to escape a fate worse than death.
As the 14th century dawns, their fellow Scots scrap over the empty throne. Seizing the opportunity to enlarge his kingdom, the brutal Edward Longshanks of England invades his weakened neighbor to the north.
Yet one young warrior--who will become feared by his enemies as the Black Douglas--stands in the path of three Plantagenet monarchs.
Their clans are sworn rivals, but James pursues the ravishing Isabelle, whose forefathers for centuries have inaugurated kings on the hallowed Stone of Destiny. Their world is upturned when James befriends Robert Bruce, a bitter foe of the MacDuffs. Both James and Isabelle must make agonizing decisions that will draw the armies to the bloody field of Bannockburn.
Here is the story of the remarkable events following the execution of William Wallace of Braveheart fame. Set during the Bruce wars of independence, The Spider and the Stone is the unforgettable saga of the star-crossed love, religious intrigue, fierce friendship in arms, and heroic sacrifice that preserved Scotland's freedom during its time of greatest peril.
START READING THE STIRRING STORY OF THE BLACK DOUGLAS TODAY.
- Chaucer Award First-Place Historical Fiction
- Foreword Finalist Book-of-the-Year Historical Fiction
- indieBRAG Medallion
- BTS Magazine Reader's Choice Honorable Mention
What Readers Are Saying:
- "The best book I've read this year. Touched my Scottish-American warrior's heart."
- "The battle scenes are detailed and vivid, giving the reader a ringside seat at Scotland's desperate fight for freedom.... Spider will hold readers in suspense."
-- IND'TALE MAGAZINE
- "[B]est historical fiction I have read in years."
-- TO READ, OR NOT TO READ
- "Sons of Scotland, sweep me away! [The story] will stay burning in my mind for days to come."
-- AS THE FINAL PAGE TURNS
- "[Craney] has woven a well-crafted, interesting tale."
-- HISTORICAL NOVEL SOCIETY
- "One of the best historical fiction novels I have read in a long time....a wonderful weaving of history, adventure, love, conflict and more."
-- JOHN GRAHAM, SENESCHAL, SOCIETY OF CREATIVE ANACHRONISM