The author, Jeffery S. Cramer, an expert on the two sages of Concord, vacuums up every conceivable thought either Thoreau or Emerson ever expressed on the subject of friendship and handily places these thoughts in this slightly odd-sized volume.
I found myself wondering (while nearly nodding off) well into this book if Emerson ever got tired of writing about friendship in his journals. However, I was brought back to attention by his noble eulogy to his friend Henry David Thoreau that is placed at the end.
This book is derived entirely from the texts of the two men. Do not look for views of their contemporaries or later critics or admirers.
- Hardcover: 352 pages
- Publisher: Counterpoint (9 April 2019)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1640091319
- ISBN-13: 978-1640091313
- Product Dimensions: 13.3 x 2.5 x 24.1 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 522 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 214,955 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)