- A comprehensive survey of the development of the Serbian nation.
- Provides the background history of the Serbs, essential to understanding their current situation.
- Traces the history of the Serbian people from the seventh through to the late twentieth century.
- Focuses on the process of integration and disintegration which have characterised Serbian history.
- Pays detailed attention to socio-economic history.
From the Back Cover
Cirkovic′s detailed account provides a counter–balance to traditionally one–sided political histories of the Serbs, paying close attention to the nation s socio–economic development. His narrative gives equal weight to the medieval and modern periods, but draws from the processes of both integration and disintegration that have characterized Serbian history. The book gives readers the historical background to the Serbs, providing an essential insight into recent events.