An ambitious and interesting overview of the history of Homo Sapiens. The tone is light and sometimes flippant, but the topics covered aren't, and the author raises some very important questions about our place in the scheme of things, and our future development.
I did find the book actually a bit disappointing towards the end; the first 2/3 were a fascinating read, with great insights, fresh perspectives, and well-written reflections on where we came from and how we got here. After that, however, the tone set in the first part of the book didn't work for the topics being discussed, and the narrative was lacking in the kind of surprising insights that made the first part such an enjoyable read.
Certainly a book I would recommend reading, but ultimately not as satisfying as it at first promised to be.
- Paperback: 544 pages
- Publisher: VINTAGE ARROW - MASS MARKET (31 January 2019)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1784873640
- ISBN-13: 978-1784873646
- Product Dimensions: 12.9 x 3.3 x 17.8 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 399 g
- Average Customer Review: 139 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 7,141 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)